Dozens of fall and winter celebrations around the world… and yet, those three hours you have to spend with that relative can feel like the most pressing global event to happen since Brangelina split (to be honest, I’m still in denial about that, but that’s entirely irrelevant). As we approach Thanksgiving, which some view as the kickoff to the holiday season in the U.S., I felt this to be an apt time to share my holiday survival guide with you.
Whether you’ve been in the spirit since the 4th of July or just can’t seem to care this year, holiday stuff is cropping up all around you. Add that on to everything else this unique year has brought to us…
The good news: you get to decide if you care. Everything just is; you give it the direction. You can decide to be stressed, you can decide to leap headfirst into chaos, or you can decide to take a breath, sit it out, and do whatever resonates with you.
I hear you: “But Denise! I have to ______!!!”
No you don’t. You choose to. You feel like you have to and you probably still will… but allow yourself a few moments to think about what would change if you didn’t _____. Or if you still did _____ but you detached from the outcome. Or, even better, envisioned it exactly how you wanted it and let the scenario fulfill your high expectations…
When you expect that one person or situation to give you a hard time, that’s often what comes true. Try expecting differently this time.
- Give yourself permission to not be around people who don’t make you feel good, even if you’re related to them. This year, that’s easier than ever!
- I reach for White Angelica, Valor, and Stress Away essential oils when making these decisions.
- Plan for your self-care just as much as you plan your shopping lists, meals, and travel.
- Pop a citrus oil in your diffuser to keep the vibe right. Citrus Fresh is my go-to while I’m mapping out the plan.
- Keep the peace. Correction: Keep your peace. Walk away from conversations that aren’t in line with your desired holiday spirit.
- Again, grabbing that Valor! Believe essential oil is another favorite for strength of spirit.
- Catch yourself overindulging in the food and treats? Before you pile extra onto your plate, ask yourself: Am I hungry or am I anxious? No matter the answer, food might be what you need in that moment, so honor that. Give yourself grace. Deprivation and negative self-talk will only exacerbate the situation.
- Went back for seconds and thirds? Same. Pass the Alkalime…
- Get your sleep, sweet friend. The to-do list will still be there tomorrow. If you aren’t rested, you aren’t getting those tasks done with acuity anyway!
- Part of a beautiful bedtime ritual: mist your linens with a spray made with lavender and vanilla essential oils. I feel peaceful just thinking of that aroma!
Exhale, dear ones. We are in this holiday season together. Much love.